Circle Ten Council recently learned about a new City of Carrollton ordinance related to all non-profit organizations selling items door to door. Circle Ten Council representatives have met with Commander Mitchell with the City of Carrollton Police Department to make this process as easy as possible. The ordinance states that only one leader from each unit (pack, troop, team, crew or post) selling popcorn is required to have a background check processed by the City of Carrollton.
So your unit is in compliance with the city ordinance then we need one registered leader from your unit to do the following:
- Fill out the attached “Handbill/ Soliciting Permit Application” and the background check forms (see below).
- Take these forms completed and visit the City of Carrollton Police Department (2025 East Jackson Road, Carrollton, TX) during business hours (Monday-Thursday 7:30 am – 5:30 pm; Friday 7:30 am -5:30 pm). You can ask for Pat McCurley in the Carrollton Police Records Department; 972-466-3347.
- Provide a government issued id (i.e. Driver’s License, State ID, passport).
- Pay $10 for the background check and request a receipt for reimbursement.
- Submit your original receipt and your name and address (check request form attached) to Jim Sullivan for reimbursement. You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-902-6708 with questions.
- Make copies of the “Handbill/ Soliciting Permit” and distribute to other unit leaders going to door to door to sell popcorn.
- Have Fun supporting Scouting!
Unfortunately, if your unit does any other door to door fundraising project that is not sponsored by Circle Ten Council (i.e. Popcorn Sale and Camp Card Sale) then the City of Carrollton ordinance reads that you must provide proof of 501c3 status, complete a permit application, and a background check fee of $10 must be completed for every leader involved in your fundraising project.
We have provided the City of Carrollton with the Circle Ten Council 501c3 tax id form for their records for the Circle Ten Council Popcorn Sale.
We want to thank you for all the time you give to Scouting so every Scout in your unit can receive the best quality program possible! It does not go unnoticed!